10,000 liters of water is required to grow one kilo of cotton needed to make just one pair of denim jeans. In comparison, one person would take 10 years to drink 10,000 liters of water. Cumulatively, the fashion industry produces about 20% of global waste water. Source: UN Helps Fashion Industry Shift to Low Carbon […]Read more
Forest and Fashion | United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goal
“Made in Forests” – a short story about sustainable fashion. Malaysian-born film star and UNDP Goodwill Ambassador Michelle Yeoh put the spotlight on the role that clothing manufacture and consumer fashion can have for a better planet with a new video, called “Made in Forests.”Read more
Transparency | 79% of Consumers Want It
Four in five (79%) think clothing brands should provide information on their environmental commitments. Spanish and Italian consumers are more likely than average to think this.Read more
Fashion giants sign UN charter to fight climate change. Will it work?
Can the biggest players in the fashion industry unite to stop global warming? The United Nations thinks so. During a conference in Katowice, Poland, UN Climate Change announced the launch of the Fashion Industry Charter for Climate Action, a series of targets with the aim to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 30 percent by 2030 and […]Read more
With 25.5 billion pounds of USE-ABLE textiles thrown away each year (70 pounds per American), there is a lot of waste that can be prevented.
Fast & Cheap Fashion Consumption Leads to R.A.G.S.
Skip the landfill and discard your unwanted R.A.G.S. – Recycle Accessories Garments Shoes – responsibly. Americans discard more than 28 billion pounds of unwanted clothing, shoes, and other textiles. Charitable organizations and others collect roughly 15 percent of these items, while the remaining 85 percent — 24 billion pounds — end up in landfills. – […]Read more
Zero Waste Design Technique | Are You Part of the Conscious Design Movement?
A how-to guide from Redress and EcoChic Design Award.Read more
Skip The Landfill, Create The Art
Up to 95% of the textiles that are LAND-FILLED each year could be reused or recycled, according to Secondary Materials© and Recycled Textiles [SMART] One day you will have no use for what you wear. It could be in a few months or a few years. Where will you dispose of it? You say you […]Read more
Discarded Bits of Aluminum Create a Textile Work of Art
Recycle + UP-CYCLE = Metal Cloth Art Sustain the earth, move towards zero waste.Read more
‘Not-So-Fast’ Ethical Fashion | Mayamiko Designed
We believe that ethical production should not compromise the quality and design of the product, rather it adds to its exquisiteness and value. We produce high quality, luxury ethical goods that are unique to the market. – Paola Masperi | designer Mayamiko | Malawi, Africa An interview with Paola Masperi. . . Paola, you are […]Read more